Friday, October 23, 2009

Be an Art Leader

At the end of each art class I call students by specific colored tables to line up by the door and wait for their teacher to arrive. In one of my first grade classes, I noticed that the "red table" was particularly good one day. They listened well, stayed on task, were respectful to eachother and offered to help at clean-up time. They were also the table that I called first at the end of the day to line up at the door. (I should mention that students love their tables to be called first). After the red table got up to stand in line, the other students were still at their tables, standing by their seats and talking freely. I clapped my hands to get their attention, and said "These fine students at the red table, were exemplary leaders in art today, they listened well, created awesome art, were respectful of others and helped clean-up, they are proactive art leaders." I gave a high-five to each student from the red table and told them how proud I was of them today. And then I said "Who will be the art leaders next week?" and everyone sat straight in their seats like little angels. Kids really want to be recognized for what they do well, and this is one way to do it in the art room.

2 comments:

  1. Karen,
    I love your blog. It is so great to see how many things you are doing in art to encourage students to be great leaders. The students at Winchester are very lucky to have such a proactive art teacher!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for responding Lori, you're my first blogger!

    ReplyDelete