Friday, October 29, 2010

Sixth Grade Leader

Last Friday I used my planning period at the end of the day to help our students carve pumpkins in the cafeteria. My 3rd grade class ended early so I could get them to the cafeteria for their scheduled carving time. Since we were the last class of the day, it was okay to leave the student artwork and art materials on the tables in the art room, I'd just clean it up later. It was a real mess with everything spead all over the tables because we had to leave after just half a class. Unfortunately, I forgot that Mr. B. was going to use the art room that afternoon and I was reminded when someone came into the cafeteria to get my keys. As you all know plans change, and my art room wasn't needed that day after all.
After carving pumpkins I walked back to my art room and my sixth grade student Aria raced past me and said, "Mrs. Z, I put away all your artwork and cleaned-up your tables for you". I turned to thank her as she sped down the hallway. When I entered the art room I was pleasantly surprised. Not only were the tables clean, but all the artwork was collected and put in the proper class folder on the shelf, the pastels were put back in the boxes and put away in the cabinet, and there was nothing left for me to clean up. No one asked Aria to clean up the art room, even if she thought a meeting was going to take place she could have just put the art and materials on my desk and I would have put it away. But Aria chose to go above and beyond, putting forth the extra effort to help someone else. I realized later that she couldn't know how touched I was by her thoughtfulness. I will see her in art class today, and I will tell the entire class about Arias good deeds. Character is who we are when know one is watching. Aria showed us her character by her actions, without expectations of gratitude or reward, she is a true leader.

2 comments:

  1. I love it!
    Aria also works as a Safety Guard outside and I am always so impressed with what a sweetheart she is. Thanks for sharing an inspiring story, Karen. It's a great way to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aria is terrific! I'm happy that you are going to share her thoughtful act with her classmates.

    ReplyDelete