Thursday, December 23, 2010

Art Goals are a Win-Win

Since our lighthouse meeting at Jim's house, I've been more consistent in posting my art class goals on the white board for each art class. Instead of just telling my students what I want them to accomplish each class, I discuss it as the art goal and write it on my white board for the entire class to see. I really liked the way we posted all our ideas on the walls of Jim's house, and I remember discussing with Brian that's its a really good idea to post our student's class goals. Before our meeting I was writing the class goals on the board, but not consistently because of time constraints. Now, instead of worrying about the time constraints of getting each new goal on the board as classes switch, I approach it as a discusson in the beginning of class and write the goal as part of my intro. to the lesson. The students are really attentive as I write the class goal on the board, as if it was a mystery unfolding. I let them know that the goal is what I expect them to accomplish in class for that day. If they meet their goal they know that they've worked hard in class and were successful in the art task. At the end of class I ask all students who reached their goal to raise their hands and I applaud them for a job well done in accomplishing their goal. I inform all students that if they didn't reach their goal, maybe they were talking or fooling around too much when they should have been more focused on their artwork. Posting the goal in class is a great way for students to gauge themselves on how well they're working in class. If they reached their goal they know they've been successful in the art room that day. If they did not reach their goal, they can internalize what they need to improve upon so they can be successful the next time. It's a win-win for both student and teacher that class goals and expectations are clear and simply stated so that every student can succeed in the art classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment